- This event has passed.
The Floyd Gingerbread House Contest
December 12, 2020 @ 11:00 am – December 22, 2020 @ 8:00 pm
The Floyd Country Store and Floyd Tourism are pleased to invite the community to participate in a Gingerbread House Contest in downtown Floyd! Exercise those creative baking skills and bring family and friends together to create a sweet work of holiday art. The structures can be simple or ornate and decked with your favorite candies (we’ve got barrels of them if you need inspiration). Through this event, we will highlight the creativity of our community through a tradition less tied to the commercial feel of the holidays, and celebrates the artistic skills of all ages!
Participants in the contest can register below by Monday, December 7th, and bring creations to the Floyd Country Store during business hours any time before Saturday, December 12. The houses will be displayed in the windows of the Floyd Country Store & The Soda Fountain at The Floyd Country Store to be admired from outside through the holidays, with votes cast by the community online before December 22. Winners will be announced on December 23, with excellent prizes donated by local businesses such as County Sales, Handmade Music School, Troika Gallery, The Floyd Country Store, Cocoa Mia, Republic of Floyd, Dogtown Roadhouse, Sacred Star & Stone, Maggie Gallery, Red Rooster Coffee, Bootleg Barbecue and Jonesburg Pepper Co.
Kids are encouraged to enter their own creations into the Youth Category (12 and under).
Local businesses are invited to participate and be represented in our Business Category!
Gingerbread House Contest in Downtown Floyd
- Gingerbread houses accepted at Floyd Country Store November 21-Dec 12.
- Houses will be on display in The Floyd Country Store and The Soda Fountain at The Floyd Country Store windows to be viewed from outside.
- From December 13-22, community voting will take place online. We will set up a QR code if folks want to vote while looking at the houses in person, or they can check out the submissions online and vote from there. Each house will be photographed for easy online viewing.
- Since we are encouraging folks to share their creations with the community for viewing and voting, the contest will not be made anonymous.
- Winners announced December 23, and houses will stay on display through the holidays.
- Please include your name and Gingerbread House title in a visible separate piece of paper.
- All Gingerbread Houses must be placed on a plywood board base or cardboard not exceeding 24”x24” (Business category excepted if displaying at own location).
- All Gingerbread Houses must be 100% edible (candy, embellishments, materials) except for lights ‘inside/outside’ the house.
- Non-edible support structure material other than the baseboard may not be used.
- No artificial interior materials, such as Styrofoam or wood, are to be used to construct or decorate the house.
- Non-edible decorations, such as paint, ribbon, figurines, etc. may be used ONLY to decorate your base.
- Gingerbread House Kits are allowed in Youth (12 and under) category and will be required to be labeled as made from a kit base. (Your best bet is to make from scratch!)
Prizes for the Gingerbread House Contest are sponsored by:
- The Floyd Country Store
- Dogtown Roadhouse
- County Sales
- Republic of Floyd
- Cocoa Mia
- Jonesburg Pepper Company
- Sacred Star and Stone
- Red Rooster Coffee Roasters
- The Maggie Gallery
- Bootleg BBQ
Need a recipe for gingerbread or a template to help with your house? Here are some resources to get you started!