The Floyd Gingerbread House Contest
December 9 – December 24
The Floyd Country Store and Floyd Tourism are pleased to invite the community to participate in a Gingerbread House Contest in downtown Floyd! Exercise those creative baking skills and bring family and friends together to create a sweet work of holiday art. The structures can be simple or ornate and decked with your favorite candies (we’ve got barrels of them if you need inspiration). Through this event, we will highlight the creativity of our community through a tradition less tied to the commercial feel of the holidays, and celebrates the artistic skills of all ages!
Participants in the contest can register below by Friday, November 26, and bring creations to the Floyd Country Store during business hours between December 2-8. The houses will be displayed in the windows of the Floyd Country Store & The Soda Fountain at The Floyd Country Store to be admired from outside through December 24, with votes cast by the community online before December 20. Winners will be announced by December 21, with excellent prizes donated by local businesses such as County Sales, Handmade Music School, Bell Gallery, The Floyd Country Store, Cocoa Mia, Dogtown Roadhouse, Maggie Gallery, and more!
Kids are encouraged to enter their own creations into the Youth Category (12 and under).
Local businesses are invited to participate and be represented in our Business Category!
Timeline for the Gingerbread House Contest in Downtown Floyd
- Participants can register by Friday, November 26th
- Gingerbread houses accepted at the Floyd Country Store from December 2nd – 8th
- Houses will be on display December 9th – 24th in The Floyd Country Store and The Soda Fountain at The Floyd Country Store windows to be viewed from outside
- Community voting will take place online December 9th – 20th. We will set up a QR code if folks want to vote while looking at the houses in person, or they can check out the submissions online and vote from there. Each house will be photographed for easy online viewing. Since we are encouraging folks to share their creations with the community for viewing and voting, the contest will not be made anonymous.
- Winners will be announced late Dec 20th or early Dec 21st
- Please include your name and Gingerbread House title in a visible separate piece of paper.
- All Gingerbread Houses must be placed on a plywood board base or cardboard not exceeding 24”x24” (Business category excepted if displaying at own location).
- All Gingerbread Houses must be 100% edible (candy, embellishments, materials) except for lights ‘inside/outside’ the house.
- Non-edible support structure material other than the baseboard may not be used.
- No artificial interior materials, such as Styrofoam or wood, are to be used to construct or decorate the house.
- Non-edible decorations, such as paint, ribbon, figurines, etc. may be used ONLY to decorate your base.
- Gingerbread House Kits are allowed in Youth (12 and under) category and will be required to be labeled as made from a kit base. (Your best bet is to make from scratch!)
Prizes for the Gingerbread House Contest are sponsored by:
- The Floyd Country Store
- Dogtown Roadhouse
- County Sales
- Cocoa Mia
- Red Rooster Coffee Roasters
- The Maggie Gallery
Need a recipe for gingerbread or a template to help with your house? Here are some resources to get you started!
- Serious Eats Construction Gingerbread Recipe
- Epicurious Gingerbread House
- Gingerbread Journal Recipes
- Gingerbread Journal Patterns